Software Engineer Scientific Engine (Python)
ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 13 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
Due to our consistent growth, we are seeking to expand our Data, Software and DevOps team. At the core of our company, your missions will focus on:
- Testing and refactoring code already used in existing project
- Introducing object oriented patterns in functional code
- Harmonizing data structures to streamline computation pipelines
- Time profiling and optimizing python code
- Implementing and testing scientific models
🔔 KEY MISSIONS 🔔
- Develop, optimize and update software for:
- Calculation of risk models;
- Data collection, preparation and visualization;
- Export of outputs adapted to users;
- Testing and validation of existing solutions;
- Monitoring of contracts and associated data.
- Support, test and correct the tools of:
- Continuous integration and continuous development (CI/CD);
- Data storage;
- Version management of scrips, codes, languages and computer systems;
- Modularization and containerization of IT solutions;
- Connection to external and internal API’s.
- To participate in:
- The assessment and definition of user needs;
- Modeling the risks of underlying contracts;
- The choice of technical solutions;
- Discussions with IT partners;
- Improving the skills of technical staff;
- Managing the access and rights of users of internal tools.
TECH STACK 🖥️
- Cloud provider: GCP
- Code versioning tool: Git + Gitlab
- OS: Linux
- Code base: Python
- Laptop: Dell Latitude 7530
- OS: you decide
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS 👩💻👨💻
- Solid knowledge in one of the following languages python, C/C++ or java
- Good knowledge in python
- Solid scientific background
- bachelor in computer science, mathematics, physics, climate science
- contact with scientific domain (e.g. robotic, physics engine in video game, data science)
- Experience with Docker
- Experience in TDD
- Good knowledge in English and fluency in French
- Familiar with production development workflow (code reviews, fast forward git policy)
- Desire to train junior developers and explain software design and good practices
- Desire to suggest improvements to the architecture
- Ability to understand break epic track in achievable issues
- Experience working with public API with python
- Experience optimizing and profiling python code
- Experience in a microservices architecture
- Experience in HPC
- Contribution to an open source project
- Strong interest in climate issues (it’s not a hoax, many people suffer from it)
- Being comfortable to work alongside corporate insurers (some still wear suits 👔)
- You enjoy CI/CD automation (or at least appreciate the elegance of a well-crafted pipeline)
- Willingness to help junior developers (remember how you were when you started 💬)
- Strong team spirit and ability to work (you’ll have to review code and have your code reviewed)
- Rigorous, creative and meticulous mind (we handle large insurance, we take our time)
- Strong desire to learn (there’s no limitation to the tech used, we’re happy to test and learn new tools)
- Eagerness to work in a multi-cultural environment (policies and teams are from all around the world 🗺️)
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Join a company with a true purpose – help us help our clients be more resilient towards climate risks;
- A competitive salary, bonus and benefits (Premium Alan health insurance, Swile restaurant vouchers, Navigo reimbursement etc.);
- The opportunity to grow in your role, as the company does;
- Commitment from Descartes to it’s staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.);
- Be part of a collaborative, diverse team where your ideas are heard;
- A paid referral scheme for successfully referring peers;
- Frequent team events.
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.
HOW TO APPLY?
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly start-up atmosphere, don't hesitate and send us your application!
If you don’t check all the requirements in the description, don’t worry. We can try to make some room for you within the company if you’re motivated to work on climate risk.
- Step 1: Call and HR Interview with our Talent Recruiter
- Step 2: Technical project submitted via GitHub
- Step 3: Technical interview
- Step 4: Manager interview
- Step 5: Final round interview with the team
(Candidates can opt to have the manager interview before the technical project and interview)