Business Development Manager - North America
ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 13 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
In close collaboration with the Head North America for Descartes Insurance Solutions, you will lead business development activities for your region in North America:
- Expand Descartes’ corporate broker network in the North American market, building strong relationships to generate new opportunities & secure renewals;
- Develop and promote the value proposition of Descartes’ parametric products as a pro-active element within brokers' strategic toolkit;
- Understand and identify North American market needs for parametric offerings in order to generate meaningful business opportunities;
- Represent Descartes externally at Broker, Client and Industry meetings & events; including occasional public speaking engagements;
- Develop and adapt sales & marketing strategies (incl. digital) for the North American market.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Paris-based Underwriting & BD teams to optimize business opportunities & meet ratio objectives;
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders to ensure smooth underwriting and claims settlement processes;
- Monitor insurance industry, and parametric specific, developments in the North American market, effectively communicating insights internally;
- Travel: this position will entail travel activities, including overnight stays.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 5 years in the North American P&C market, in a business development and/or underwriting capacity;
- Candidates with experience from brokerage firm or underwriting company highly preferred.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal communication) – required;
- Good command of one additional language (e.g. Spanish) – valued;
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
- Strong analytical capabilities and financial acumen.
- Results oriented, high energy, and self-motivated with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent team player with an entrepreneurial mindset and value of diversity;
- Motivated to help improving businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment;
- Compensation and benefits to be determined based on candidates experience & qualifications;
- Participate in continuous training and development;
- Be part of an international team;
- Work in an environment which encourages innovations, new ideas and contributes to change the way insurance is done.
HOW TO APPLY?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes ? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don’t hesitate and send us your application!
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.