Process Optimization & Data Analytics - Intern
ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. After a successful Series B raise of $120M USD, Descartes Underwriting is proud to be recognized among the French Tech Next40 and launched Descartes Insurance, a ‘full stack’ insurer licensed to underwrite risk by the French Regulator (ACPR). With a growing corporate client base (350+ and counting) - our diverse team is headquartered in Paris and operates out of our 13 global offices in North America, Europe, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
Joining the Underwriting department as a Process Optimization & Data Analytics - Intern (end of study) at Descartes, you will play a key role in developing the company's expertise in data analysis.
You will be in close and effective cooperation with all business units and play a role in the following activities:
- Analyze processes to find bottlenecks and drivers, aiming to improve the productivity of the underwriting team;
- Lead continuous improvements and optimizations of data handling processes;
- Design visual supports for the presentation and periodic review of key indicators;
- Conduct periodic data analysis studies on the company's portfolio or underwriting pipeline;
- Create advanced analytics using machine learning when relevant;
- Contribute to the improve of the architecture of our current information systems.
Your missions will evolve in the future as Descartes is growing fast and many exciting projects are waiting for you. It's a unique opportunity to take a closer look inside a fast-growing start-up with huge ambitions !
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Final year of a double Master's degree in Engineering and Business, or a Master's degree in Operations Research, in Industrial Engineering, or equivalent;
- Ideally a previous experience (internship or/and project) in Data Analysis used for process improvement, predictive maintenance or operations optimization is valued.
- Good understanding of the key challenges of a fast growing company;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Fluency in English (written and verbal communication) required;
- Proficiency in Python (pandas, seaborn, plotly...), statistics and applied mathematics.
- Highly motivated and eager to learn new things;
- Proactive and solution-oriented mindset;
- Able to work in autonomy and to make appropriate technical decisions;
- Willing to collaborate effectively in a cross-functional environment.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Opportunity to work and learn with top data scientists from the most prestigious schools and research labs in the world, allowing you to progress towards technical excellence;
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.) ;
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment ;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity ;
- Benefit from a referral scheme for successfully referring peers ;
- You can benefit from a hybrid work mode.
HOW TO APPLY ?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don't hesitate and send us your application!
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.